top of page

Make Your Voice Heard

In Urban Unincorporated Washington County, we are not under the jurisdiction of any city government. Our County Board of Commissioners and other entities under their jurisdiction such as Land Use & Transportation (LUT) and Clean Water Services (CWS) have legal authority over our trees. Policy change will not come about without persuasion.

Ways to voice up for trees

Testify For Trees

Standing up before decision makers to state your views can be powerful. Testify to our Board of Commissioners and others who have jurisdiction over our trees. Of course right now “standing up” is virtual, often only by phone, but speaking out for the record may be heard by many. Your views may reach other listeners as well.

We can help you with talking points, instructions for testifying, and building your confidence.  

Write a Letter

Writing a letter leaves a lasting impressing that can easily be reread or passed on to others. Written testimony carries weight. You may choose to write to our County Board of Commissioners and other entities under their jurisdiction such as Land Use & Transportation (LUT) and Clean Water Services (CWS). Or you may choose to write a letter to a newspaper or to a neighborhood association.

Image by Romain Dancre

Start a Petition

Sometimes the best way to show community support for your issue is to write a petition.  Armed with enough supporters, a petition can help build a solid case that may influence decision makers to take specific steps to solve your problem. Remember to research thoroughly and detail what specific actions you are hoping to achieve. Be sure to write a simple, concise Statement of Purpose that will persuade others.

Here is one guide to writing an effective petition. is one free platform for creating petitions, but you can find others online. 

bottom of page