Oregon's Heritage Trees
Washington County contains many significant trees in our community, many of them are officially recognized as heritage trees by the State of Oregon. For the future, we hope to preserve and recognize more of them to keep those vital links to our past.
Oregon Heritage Trees recognize trees of significance, and aims to educate the public about their value as well as promote their appreciation as part of our state’s heritage.
Oregon Heritage Trees in Washington County
The American elm street trees (Ulmus Americana) in the community of Orenco were planted in 1912 by the town’s namesake – Oregon Nursery Company. The Hillsboro Zoning Ordinance includes special provisions for the Orenco area, to protect the elms and to preserve the community’s historic character.
The trees that grace the grounds of the Washington County Courthouse were planted in 1880 as three year old seedlings by pioneer nurseryman John R. Porter who had rushed to Oregon to find gold, but instead discovered the riches of majestic trees.
This grove of mixed trees species was started as a memorial for Oregon members of the 10th Mountain Division who fought in Italy during WWII. They were the only US Army Division trained in mountain warfare and were trained to fight on skis.
Although not official heritage trees, you shouldn’t miss these. John Walters, the first European settler in the Cedar Mill area, settled in and planted three apple trees, perhaps creating the first apple orchard in the area. See a remaining apple tree alongside an old pear tree and a lovely spreading hickory.